Thursday, January 17, 2008

Why can't doctors keep their digits out of our butts? (Update: or ours out of their mouths?)

First there's the story of the New York construction worker who is suing his hospital for giving him an unwanted and unauthorized rectal exam. After all, as Cranky from Six Meat Buffet says (see comments section):


A Man's Rectum is His Castle!


Now comes this story of a Scandi doctor who has an interesting technique for relieving headaches and back pain:

A doctor who received a warning for using a controversial 'anal massage' technique to cure various aches and pains has won an appeal at Stockholm County Court.

Several years ago, the man was warned by Sweden's Medical Responsibility Board (HSAN) on at least three occasions after using his method to treat an elderly woman's headaches and back pain.

At the time the doctor was working in the Stockholm area. The woman described his treatment as "an incredibly offensive encroachment".


The doctor has also run into difficulties in neighbouring Denmark and Norway.


The doc claims that the complaints arise not from his unusual treatments, but rather because he is a bad comedian:

The man described his dismissal in Norway as part of a witch-hunt against him, and said that his technique was successful.

The Norwegian counterpart to HSAN issued a warning after the doctor told Swedish jokes to a group of Norwegians who were mourning a death.

The man said at the time that he considered himself misunderstood.

"I have a personality disorder, or rather a syndrome, a form of Aspergers. Just like Bill Gates or Einstein, for example," he told Aftonbladet.

"I have made it impossible for myself within the healthcare sector because I behave childishly sometimes. I am different, but cleverer."


Update: Via Ace, how would you like to go in for an eye exam and end up getting a "toe job"? Ick.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If he has Aspergers, he should sticking his finger in his own butt to pick them.

Michele said...

My daughter has Asperger's. They say the darndest things. There's no filter there. She sat down next to my friend's mom the other day and said "You know, I really like old people." The woman had a funny response. She pointed to her husband and said, "then go sit over by him."

Nigel said...

Laurie, you weren't really "promoted"...I'm just lazy.

If you are in the "Super Best Friends" category, it means I now read your blog every day. It's my lazy way of organizing which blogs to read...I simply go down the list (or up the list since I like to start with Woman of Abomination and Six Meat Buffet). If you are in Super Best Friends, I know MUST read you every day, or (like our buddy Potfry says) I get this urge to drive a sharp object into my eye.

Anonymous said...

Nigel,

Check your e-mail.

And lastly, why didn't you just STUFU and let me think that I mattered? Geez man. Feelings are hurt.

Now I'm going to look for something blunt.

Oh there's my reflection in the mirror!!

Laurie K

WomanOfAbomination said...

Laurie,

Turn away from your mirror and attend to my words...

A woman of your position never gets her feelings hurt by insults. View them as opportunities to exact discipline upon the offender. Be creative.

Now, I must be going. This post smells like butt.