Friday, September 5, 2008

On open letter to Ann and Nancy Wilson (Updated)

I've spent hundreds of dollars on your concerts, records, tapes, and CD's. I think your music is terrific.

Having said that...

Ann and Nancy Wilson are pissed at the Republican Party and have fired off a cease and desist letter to the McCain/Palin campaign.

Specifically, the Heart women are upset that the GOP has used their classic "Barracuda" as a theme song for Sarah Palin. TMZ obtained a statement from Heart's rep, who says "The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission."


Cry me a freakin' river. You've just INSURED that whenever your 30 year old song is played, people will now think "Sarah Palin".

So what will you do now, follow the McCain/Palin campaign with a lawyer and threaten a lawsuit every time they play it?

Screw you. And if you manage to take this video down (which I did not do), I have all of your songs loaded and ready to make videos...every time doing something to glorify the Republicans:



Update: Barracuda co-writers: Quit your whining!

Listen here...at the last 5 minutes of the first hour and the first 10 minutes of the second hour:

I was talking about Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart being outraged that the McCain campaign was using their song "Barricuda" at the GOP convention. They chose that song because "barracuda" was Sarah Palin's nickname in high school.

As I was discussing that story, two original members of Heart - both of whom shared songwriting credits on Barricuda - called in to say they had no problem with the McCain campign's use of the song. I heard from drummer Mike DeRosier and guitarist Roger Fisher.

15 comments:

Sue said...

Nigel,

I understand your thoughts here, but think of it this way... what if you wrote a kick-ass song and OBAMA used it for his campaign?

I am going to side with the songwriters here, it's their song and they have to the right to use it to endorse (or not) any candidate they choose.

Isn't that the beauty of elections? The power of the people's choice?

Nigel said...

Sue,

Actually as it turns out, Ann and Nancy didn't even write the song...I'll probably update the post to reflect that.

I can't say what I'd do. What I wouldn't do is fire off a press release and a legal threat within hours of it being used.

I'd probably also remember that the age group of my fans would likely be those who are looking at Sarah Palin as a hero...and use that to sell more records.

Yeah, I know. "Sell-out". Because Heart is SO principled they aren't in it for the money...which would explain the $100 tickets when they tour.

Nigel said...

To "Anonymous" commenter...you got deleted. Leave a name...

But you are right, the Wilsons are two of FIVE writers of Barracuda...

So they can't call the shots here.

And two of the other writers are telling them to get over it:

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/272615.php

Anonymous said...

Despite her nickname being "Barracuda" a more fitting song for her would be "Powerful Stuff" by the Fabulous Thunderbirds...

Anonymous said...

I think it was Brooks & Dunn (or something of that sort, don't listen to much country music--whoever it was, they're Republican) had one of their songs played at the DNC. They told the DNC thank you very much for including our music at your convention.

That's class, and the way it should be handled. Heart and their kind are fucking crybabies. I will never download another Heart song again. Makes me regret having gotten so much already off of iTunes.

Bitches, I'll more than happy to take it outside with both of them. Those has-beens should be thrilled any of their music is being played.

Sue said...

Ah, I see.

I would have picked Joan Jett's Bad Reputation myself... love that song.

Nigel said...

Sue...great song, but wrong message...Palin's reputation is Gold, which is why the libtards are trying to destroy it.

Me? After all of this crap, I might have gone with Petty's "I Won't Back Down"...

Sue said...

Good points.

I just like the song. haha.

My boss and I have a girl crush on Palin right now. She turned the TV on and made everybody at the bar watch her speech the other night, much to the chagrin of some of the dems in the building. hahaha

Nigel said...

Sue...

Keep walking toward the light, Sweetie...

B Smith said...

I love Heart, I'd bear Nancy's children. But I was the one who SUGGESTED this, over at Annie's Chaos last week!! ME,ME,ME !!(I want royalties, dammit!!)
So, adult that I am, and to show there's no hard feelings, I'm gonna walk around in a PALIN '08 shirt singing that song.
Bwahahahahaha.

Nigel said...

B. Smith? You'd bear Nancy's chilluns?

Prove your true loyalty to heart and offer to father Ann's...

(or was that a sexist cheap shot?)

B Smith said...

P.S.--I also think Ann & Nancy are ruining what could be a good thing. In entertainment, no publicity is bad, and having a party---even the opposition--- use your song should be quite an honor.
Still love ya, ladies, keep up the fine work :-)

B Smith said...

Nigel---Ann sort of creeps me out for some reason. But I'd marry her to hear her sing to me... how's that?

Nigel said...

Well...she DOES have serious pipes. Maybe before the shitfit they just had, I might have taken that bullet...

Unknown said...

"barracuda" or "i won't back down" .. perfect!

loving your blog tonight.

i was blown away by sarah the first time i heard her speak in an interview while she was running for governor here. something about what she said, the way she said it, pierced me. she did not back down. she did not play favorites. and i felt like this person believes in what she believes in and will not let anybody talk her out of her convictions. it has been my pleasure to see her serve as our governor here. and it was my thrill to hear her blow the top off that speech the other night.

still grinning from that speech the other night, kathleen :)