Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Who is going to vote for Barack Obama?

I received the following email from a friend who was defending his choice of Barack Obama for president. Now let me preface this by saying that my friend is intelligent and successful.

I'll let his words stand without criticism or analysis. It was in response to this column by Charles Krauthammer:

same exact case could have been made against JFK too or did his spoon-sped senate seat in MA fill out his resume?

No offense, and I'm likely to start the political "war of words" with (name redacted) here but this article is BS. Obama is an extremely close colleague of Dick Luger the ranking REPUBLICAN IL Senator who has helped mentor him. I don't think it would have been "Good for Dick" to speak at the Dem Convention....so he didn't. Clintons have their own agenda and puleeze, it's a McCain fundraising joke how obvious it is that she'd love to see Obama lose. Her help is minimal. Did the repubs expect Obama to pull out a whole bunch of raving christian evangelists or people from the ghetto to talk about Obama's community service?

Obama worked as a community activist before being elected to the IL state senate (no small feat). He came from nowhere to win the ILLINOIS SENATE seat and that alone is huge. Obama wrote two best selling books. He ain't no "mayor" of a 5,000 person town nor "governor" of a 500,000 person state trying to get a free ride to the presidency from a dying old man. He's someone who has done a lot already...and is young and has sound judgment and speaks out and is politically savy. He's the best chance we got....

Sorry Repubs. Clock is ticking it's 11:59. gig is up at midnight.

6 comments:

Michele said...

Ugh. What is going on with people?

Yiddish Steel said...

No offense, Nigel, but, your friend is not that smart. I like how he conveniently forgot to mention how Obama ran UNOPPOSED for his Illinois State Senate Seat; he had every opponent thrown out on technicalities (The Chicago way!). Then, your friend conveniently forgets how Team Obama used Jerri Ryan's personal problems with her own husband, Jack Ryan, Obama's opponent in the U.S. Senate race to force Ryan to drop out due to the airing of the Ryan's dirty laundry. Obama has had ZERO Executive experience; he's never held a job in the private sector, and he's voted "present" in the Senate more than "Yea" or "Nay". Judgment?! Please. Haven't we all discovered Obama's stellar judgment when it comes to the people he surrounds himself with.

Nigel said...

Yiddish,

It's not that my friend is not smart. He is. It's that he is uninformed...like many of the people who are voting for Obama.

Most Americans don't take the time to discover who candidates really are. A soundbite on the radio, a story in US Magazine, maybe 15 minutes of the debate...and that's it...they've made up their mind.

It's sad but true.

I pointed out every single thing you just did...and my friend denied them all. Claimed it was "Rovian" politics...that kind of thing.

Does the American public know about how Obama used his community activists to throw out the ballot petition signatures of his opponents? Of course not. He's handsome and a great speaker.

Kind of like that other great American President...JFK. Or was it Clinton?

Anonymous said...

Nigel,



That's not a smart man you're describing there, that's nothing more than another mediocre mind. Anyone willing to get their information from a 15 second soundbyte and a tabloid headline is not smart. Sorry. I have friends like that too. Sad but true.

Michele said...

I'd have to agree with Yiddish here. It's not smart to be uninformed. I hope he stays away from the voting booth.

I'm sick of the bullshit. I don't think most Americans are willing to be honest with themselves about policy when faced with a candidate that appeals to their emotions.

I want to hear someone say. "I'm voting for Obama because I'm a neo-Marxist, pro-infanticide, friend of all domestic terrorists." Or "I don't know much about the guy, but I'm voting for him because he's black."

They won't say that because most don't believe in those ideals, and yet if you put enough sugar on a turd and tell them it's candy, their wishful thinking takes over. They're also going to pretend that they're not sick at their stomachs when they see what kind of government Obama gives them.

Nigel said...

After a few email exchanges with him, I now agree with both of you...

I asked him pointed direct questions about his candidate. He couldn't answer them or refute my evidence except to tell me that if I think Sarah Palin is experienced enough to be the VP, then I was an "idiot".

That ended our email exchange. It's typical of a liberal...if you can't refute an argument...call them an "idiot".

Or a racist.